Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Talking 'bout my generation

So, I haven't posted in a while (and tonight we're making up and making love).

I took a trip with Sonya to STL last Friday, Saturday and Sunday (2/16-2/18). We hung out with her friends and attended the Soulard Mardi Gras festivities. On Saturday in particular we met up with her friend Monica, and went to Monica's friends, Brad and Ashley's house. They were a handsome, young couple (21 years-old). We smoked and I got really stoned and since I was in a new environment I was kind of freaking out a little. I got particularly paranoid about their house.



Okay, I'm not one to get too intimidated by the riches in life but since I was high I was affected negatively.

This couple had a three-story house. Sonya made it seem common place, but this was no cookie-cutter, already furnished, cheap place. The house had to be a cool million at max. (I mean I'm sure their parents paid for it, or maybe they have an extreme mortgage, but seeing how they were currently both unemployed, I have my doubts).

The place was nicely furnished (not the best, I mean they are 21 and stretched for resources).



What I couldn't get over was how the place was decorated. It's like the place is a new template to what our generations' homes will look like. White, clean kitchen with the wook-top island in the center. The living room had a love seat, couch, coffee table and fire mantle converted into bar in the corner. In the formal dinning room they had the pool table set-up. They had a breakfast nook with a table for two. Upstairs was the master bedroom, guest room and bathroom. In the basement was the white-stoned fireplace, black leather couch facing the TV. They even dug a hole in the wall to create a little smoking room that's built for a five-group to hot box it.



It just freaked me out that this couple had it so together. They're TWENTY-ONE. I'm not sure I can even get through my taxes without help. But it made me question: is this the new standard for my generation? Do we desire to keep smoking weed enough to put in a four by four foot room? Is this the new norm? I mean, it's cool of course. But I wonder if drinking and smoking is something we will desire to keep doing? And I'm wondering if more and more educated are smoking? I mean, it's a psychoactive drug, so, why not? It gets you to think MORE. Educated people think. And a side note: educated people earn more and usually people who make more buy really good weed.

No comments: