Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Don't drink alone, Scarlett. People always find out and it ruins their reputation"



Reason no. 10,238 why I love Gone With The Wind. Rhett Butler. That fucker is the best character to happen to cinema since Tiny Tim. This character is from a book and the statement is a fallacy, I know.

My theory stands as this. As a youngster, children identify with Scarlett O'Hara. And why not? She loves Tara and desires Ashley Wilkes. Easy enough for any child to understand.

However, as an adult you identify with Rhett. Or at least I do. I love how callous he can be. How arrogant and right-on-the-money he is about everything. Especially en regard to Scarlett O'Hara. He saw right through her bullshit and called her out on it.

I mean, he has all the best lines. I'm watching it right now and he's dropping bomb after bomb of hilarity.



- "Far be it for me to question the teachings of childhood." ~ re: the existence of hell which Scarlett was taught as a child
- "If you had to do it all over again, you'd do no differently. You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail."
- "I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands."
- "Did you ever think of marrying just for fun?"
- "Heaven help the man who really loves you."

And again, this is what I want in a relationship. I mean, I don't want someone who will gleefully take my bullshit. I need someone with a spine. Not that I'm perpetually lying, but there are those times when people get lippy, or just have a stick up their ass. I need someone who sardonically throws back some sass. Someone who will make me wake-up from my bullshit spell and make me laugh at how ridiculous I'm being at the moment.



And...I'm kind of a sadist. I like a boss. But not a boss-bitch. Sorry Kelis.

No comments: