Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Power of Association

So, I was eating a Totino's Pizza the other day and thinking about why I love these tiny almost perfectly personal sized pizzas.



True, they are much like cardboard, have little nutritional value due to little protein and calcium from the minuscule amount of cheese provided.

True, they are great for drunk and drug induced munchies, or a quick meal for the lazy.

However, I believe my deep admiration has to do with the association I have for them towards my grandfather.

My Grandpa Medley used to live in a trailer down in the Osage Beach area when I was little. This was long before he moved into apartments for the elderly and his final days that ended in a nursing home.

I remember we'd go there on Saturdays and spend the night. I remember I never wanted to go. My Grandpa always kind of scared me. This was due in large part because of his missing a ring and pinky finger on one hand from an accident in a factory he worked. (I forget which hand it was).

What I did enjoy was our consumption of Totino's pizzas on those Saturday nights and I would get to stay up and watch Star Trek: The Next Generation on KRCG-TV 13. Hahahaha. I remember the horrible commercials, too.



I actually think I remember seeing the very first episode of the series, "Encounter at Farpoint," at my Grandpa's. I remember thinking how beautiful Deanna Troi was when she walked on to the bridge. I remember her outfit the most. That short skirt. Weird what you remember.



But I think fondly of those memories. I mean, I love Star Trek. I love Totino's Pizza. I remember running around my Grandpa's sky blue trailer and being scared of the honeybee hive in the yard that marked his gravel drive. I remember he loved to laugh. I remember him laughing to this very day. He would get a kick out of everything in life because I think he knew the secret to life: to laugh it all away or it'll consume you. To just find the silliness. This is something we all can learn especially after the past couple of days.

My prayer to everyone is to find the silliness in life. Laugh at it and keep going.

No comments: