Monday, September 15, 2008

American Teen



American Teen is a documentary that follows a handful of teens in an averagge American town. Through the ten months of filming, filmmaker Nanette Burstein intimately captures portraits of the trials and tribulations of modern-day teens.

While touching, hilarious and heart-breaking at times, the film is also, at least for me and my relatively recent high school experience, nothing new. The movie follows the clichéd stereotypes: the jock, the nerd, the popular princess, the hunk, the "alternative girl" and breaks them.

As far as being a member of the audience, I came expecting what I got: a heartfelt story that shatters the one-dimensional facade of teenage life. Everyone knows that these people are more than the sum of their parts. Blah, blah, blah.

Yes, the movie's good. Yes, I'd recommend it to everyone. No, it breaks no new ground. Except the weird animated sequences that they have when the kids do voices overs, those are more creepy than anything else. ***A***

1 comment:

Justin Scott said...

I totally agree. I loved this movie, especially the girl who dreams to move to san fran. I was a little bit in love with her.

-justin